Are you tired of people slowly backing away from you during conversations? Do you feel self-conscious about your breath? Are you tired of being too afraid to make a move on that cutie you’ve wanted to ask out because you know how bad your breath is? You’re not alone. In fact, about 25% of people suffer from halitosis (bad breath). You don’t have to continue to live with bad breath longer. Here are some ways you can fix your bad breath.
What Causes Halitosis?
- Poor dental hygiene. Poor dental hygiene is the leading cause of halitosis. Without regular brushing and flossing, you can have a buildup of food particles that slowly break down, creating a foul odor.
- Food. We have bacteria in our mouth that helps to break down the food we eat. This process produces sulfur compounds that can cause our breath to smell less than optimal.
- Dry mouth. Saliva naturally cleans the mouth. When your mouth is dry, odors can begin to build up.
How You Can Cure Halitosis
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water, avoiding anything that dehydrates your mouth and doing things that help stimulate the creation of saliva (like chewing gum or sucking on a sweet candy) will help keep your breath fresh. If your mouth is chronically dry, you should visit a doctor, who may prescribe medication to help stimulate the flow of saliva.
- Brush and floss regularly. Brushing at least twice a day and regularly flossing plays an important part in fighting bad breath. Brushing only cleans around 60% of the surface of the tooth, so flossing is important to remove the plaque and food particles between your teeth. This, along with regular check-ups and cleanings from your dentist, will go a long way in helping you avoid bad breath.
Have A Fragrant And Pleasant Smile
Our staff can provide you with the dentistry services you need to have a healthy, beautiful, and fresh smile. Contact us at our local Tyler, TX office at (903) 215-8223.